Costner Cinema Chat

A site in which Kevin Costner's movies are discussed

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Yep, they was robbed...And is KC being blackballed?

We all know the song here: Both KC and Joan Allen were robbed, and that's only the beginning of my disgust at this year's Oscars. Apparently voters have little use for movies and characters without something political to say.
Some friends have suggested there's a "guilt by association" deal with well-respected actors and actresses who co-star with KC; arguably Robert Duvall, Annette Bening and Michael Jeter deserved award nominations for Open Range (not to mention KC for his direction and James Muro for his cinematography), and Thirteen Days was robbed of at least three major nominations (Bruce Greenwood for Best Actor, Steven Culp for Best Supporting Actor and David Self for Screenplay).
Apparently those who think KC shouldn't have won his directing Oscar for "Dances With Wolves,' those who are in Scorcese's camp, now make up the majority of Oscar voters and may be having their short-term revenge on KC. How petty.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am with you on this. I think Costner did a wonderful job in Upside of Anger and should have received a nod for Best Supporting Actor for his effort. Robert Duvall was fabulous in Open Range and the fact that he was ignored completely by the Academy makes a statement. I do believe it is time for folks to stop whining about Good Fellas losing to Dances With Wolves. It's done. Dances With Wolves was better. After all, how much of a stretch is it really to direct Joe Pesci as a gangster? Oh dear, slap me for saying that and I am a huge fan of Scorsese. Anyway, if folks want to have a go at someone for a misstep on the Academy's part, have at Robert Redford and Ordinary People. What, does anyone really believe it was a more deserving movie than Raging Bull?

    I am a new fan of Kevin Costner's. Always liked him; knew a movie would be fine with me if he were in it. That kind of thing. But something clicked a few months back when Encore was showing For the Love of the Game in the middle of the night. I remember saying to myself what a wonderful romantic lead Costner was. (Where have I been?) Anyway, I did a review of his filmography over the following month and found myself enthralled. He has become one of my favorite directors. Love his romanticism I guess: big open spaces, full bodied scores, his emotionalism. I like the choices he makes as an actor. I was asleep to all the "hating' that had been going on as well. The Waterwold/Postman thing is silly. Love them both and actually think that there is a significant movie hiding in The Postman somewhere. I am happy to line up with the hipsters for Let the Right One In but I am not embarrassed to also get lost in the kind of movie Costner likes to direct. I think it's a darn shame the man has to beg for money to direct a movie and hope he does finally thumb his nose at the major studios and strike out as an indie filmmaker. Go for it, Man, before there is another storm at one of your country western gigs.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home