Costner Cinema Chat

A site in which Kevin Costner's movies are discussed

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

AFI 100 Quotes

AFI Top 100 Quotes
Frankly my dear, KC movies got shortchanged in the AFI quotes.
"If you build it ... he will come" from Field of Dreams came in at Number 39....about 20-25 spots lower than I thought it should have been. Given the quote's use (or, let's be honest, misuse; almost nobody who uses it gets it right), it should have been in the teens. The critics and movie insiders who picked the list also seem to have developed a distate for extended quotes. Everything on that list was, at the most, two sentences. That meant "The Speech" ("I believe in the soul.....") from Bull Durham, which was in the top 400, got cut out of the top 100.
I thought it should have been somewhere in the 80s.One that should have been in the top 400 was Terrence Mann's speech near the end of FOD ("People will come, Ray......). On the Field of Dreams DVD, director Phil Alden Robinson explained that he filmed James Earl Jones saying it in the way we see. Then, he had Jones do it again, in full booming voice, to get reaction shots from KC, and that's the combo we see in the movie.
BTW, anyone notice that this list was missing people like Gregory Peck, Cary Grant (Though Mae West said "Come up some time, and see me" to him), Spencer Tracy, Katharine Hepburn and James Stewart? Who would have guessed?
And two of my favorite movie quotes also got clipped: One from Casablanca ("I'm shocked, shocked to find there is gambling going on here," by Claude Rains) and one is from The Wizard of Oz ("Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.") And while I'll take "Frankly my dear" for number 1, ain't no way I agree with The Godfather quote for number 2; that spot would have gone to "Here's lookin' at you, kid," from Casablanca. And my number 3 would have been "There's no place like home," from The Wizard of Oz.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home